The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Censure Member of the Body

Guest Robert W. Barnes

Guest Robert W. Barnes

Just a general question. When Roberts is adopted by a deliberative body as the guide for discussion, debate and voting, is there included in Roberts a provision for censure of a member of the body who has made inappropriate remarks directed to others in the same body?

Just a general question. When Roberts is adopted by a deliberative body as the guide for discussion, debate and voting, is there included in Roberts a provision for censure of a member of the body who has made inappropriate remarks directed to others in the same body?

When a member breaches the rules of decorum in debate, any member can raise a Point of Order by interrupting, saying, for example, "Mr. President, I call the gentleman to order!". Ordinarily, the chair should correct the fault by admonishing the speaker to avoid dealing in personalities and permit the speaker to continue, if no one objects. See RONR (10th ed.), §23, pp. 240ff. For more serious offenses, see pp. 626-628.

When a member breaches the rules of decorum in debate, any member can raise a Point of Order by interrupting, saying, for example, "Mr. President, I call the gentleman to order!". Ordinarily, the chair should correct the fault by admonishing the speaker to avoid dealing in personalities and permit the speaker to continue, if no one objects. See RONR (10th ed.), §23, pp. 240ff. For more serious offenses, see pp. 626-628.

That applies only within the context of a meeting; I'm not sure if these comments were made within a meeting. Mr. Barnes?

The motion to censure is simply an original main motion which expresses the assembly's disapproval. It is debatable and requires a majority vote.

RONR devotes an entire chapter (the dreaded "Dos Equis" Chapter XX) to Disciplinary Procedures.

I still haven't gotten around to reading that one from beginning to end, so 'dreaded' seems to apply. Maybe I need a bottle of the matching beverage, while reading, as suggested by Mr. Mountcastle's reference :) .

A bottle? Trina, I'd put a six-pack in the fridge, just to be sure. drunk.gif It's a feature-packed 20 pages, to be sure.

Archived