The Official RONR Q & A Forums

No Treasurer

Guest Sherry

Our treasurer recently resigned along with our President. Me, being VP1, moved up to President accordingly to our by-laws. The resigned President has all money still in her possession and has not relinquished the check endorsement stamp nor any other important things I would need to have. She wants to act as "interim" Treasurer until our next monthly meeting in which we will hold an election for the open board positions. It is not stated in our by-laws regarding this type of situation. Can anyone act as an interim anything if they are no longer on the official board?

FYI-the reason she still has all the Treasurer stuff is because she was the Treasurer for our Home & School Board last year- it was never turned over or out of her possession.

Our treasurer recently resigned along with our President.

So, to underline the key point, neither person has any (more) authority to do any officer-related work.

Me, being VP1, moved up to President accordingly to our by-laws.

Okay. - Implying, the immediate past president has no more authority than I do, regarding duties of officers.

The resigned President has all money still in her possession and has not relinquished the check endorsement stamp nor any other important things I would need to have.

She wants to act as "interim" Treasurer until our next monthly meeting in which we will hold an election for the open board positions.

It is not stated in our by-laws regarding this type of situation.

Can anyone act as an interim anything if they are no longer on the official board?

FYI - the reason she still has all the Treasurer stuff is because she was the Treasurer for our Home & School Board last year- it was never turned over or out of her possession.

Answer: Two answers.

• "Yes", anyone can act as interim anything, if there a duty to be done, and no one to do it.

• "No," a non-officer (here, your I.P.P.) cannot act as interim treasurer, UNLESS the organization has permitted this or acknowledged this.

That is, where an organization has NO treasurer, SOMEBODY must still do the work, even if that certain someone is not an officer, not a board member, not anything.

And you DID say, "... our treasurer recently resigned."

So, since you have no officer called "treasurer" then the person (a.) holding the checkbook; (b.) reconciling monthly bank statements; (c.) depositing dues money; etc., will be someone other than the official treasurer - like an "interim treasurer" (lower case "T").

Thus, it is no surprise that your I.P.P. does not want those above monetary duties to be 100% abandoned.

Q. What do you want? - To have nobody hold the checkbook and to reconcile bank statements?

Q. What does the organization want? - To have an outgoing office pinch hit for one month?

She wants to act as "interim" Treasurer until our next monthly meeting in which we will hold an election for the open board positions. It is not stated in our by-laws regarding this type of situation. Can anyone act as an interim anything if they are no longer on the official board?

No one can act as an interim anything, period, unless there is such a position in the Bylaws. Whether and to what extent someone may be able to perform the duties of the Treasurer until the position is filled depends on the wording of the Bylaws.

Archived