The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections, Quorum and Adoption of Agenda

Guest Richard

Hello,

I have three questions:

1 - A revision on how my organization does elections is being proposed. The proposal has the time limit of submitting nominations one hour before the general meeting. What does RR's say about this.

2 - what does RR's mention about Quorums?

3 - What does RR's say about adoption of agenda? If nothing...what is the proper method of doing this at a meeting?

Thank you.

Richard

1 - A revision on how my organization does elections is being proposed.

The proposal has the time limit of submitting nominations one hour before the general meeting.

What does RR's say about this.

Highly irregular.

Nominations are to be done WITHIN a meeting. Not one hour BEFORE a meeting.

2 - what does RR's mention about Quorums?

Default quorum = majority of the (voting) membership (of the body which is meeting).

3 - What does RR's say about adoption of agenda?

If nothing...what is the proper method of doing this at a meeting?

See FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS.

Would it be proper for a slate of nominations from a committee be presented with additional nominations from the floor be okay according to RR's?

Yes, the usual practice is to have a nominating committee prepare a list (not a "slate") of candidates. Then nominations from the floor are accepted. Members are also free to "write in" on the ballot the name of someone who wasn't nominated at all.

But an organization is free to adopt whatever rules it wants. Some of them need to be in the bylaws; some don't. If you want a nominating committee and don't have one, you should amend (change) your bylaws to create one.

A follow-up question

Default quorum = majority of the (voting) membership (of the body which is meeting)

Does this mean of those who are attending the meeting or those who are a member of the organization?

Thanks

The latter. 100 members, default (majority) quorum is 51. If only 50 show up, you have no quorum. Or, Board of 10, quorum is 6. Only 5 show up? No quorum.

Does this mean of ___

those who are attending the meeting, or

those who are a member of the organization?

Don't think "organization."

Don't think "attendees."

Think "body".

Think "members" of that body.

• In a committee, or a board, a quorum (by default) is a majority of its members who are empowered to vote, excluding those who sit without being empowered to vote (as is often the case for ex officio people, who may or may not be able to vote, depending on the rule which created their ex officio status).

It makes no difference about membership in the "organization".

In theory, a committee (or even a board!) might be composed of half members of the organization, and half consultants (i.e., independent professionals who are not members of the organization).

We have 8 voting members on our board. One member has taken a temporary leave of absence for a month or so.

How many members do we need for a Quorum? We normally need 5. Since he is gone do we only need 4?

If he could show up unexpectedly and vote, he counts toward the calculation of the quorum, leave of absence or not.

If he could show up unexpectedly and vote, he counts toward the calculation of the quorum, leave of absence or not.

The quorum is based on how many members you have, in this case on the board. I'd say that if Mr. LOA is still holding his office (that is, he hasn't resigned or otherwise been terminated) and nothing in your bylaws stipulates that by taking a leave of absence he has had to relinquish his office, then you still have an 8 member board.

So, is there any reason to believe he is no longer on the board? When he returns, will his position be "waiting for him?"

I'd say that if Mr. LOA is still holding his office (that is, he hasn't resigned or otherwise been terminated) and nothing in your bylaws stipulates that by taking a leave of absence he has had to relinquish his office, then you still have an 8 member board.

He may still be a member but if his "leave of absence" suspends his right to vote, then he shouldn't be counted in the quorum calculation.

He may still be a member but if his "leave of absence" suspends his right to vote, then he shouldn't be counted in the quorum calculation.

But this would need to be detailed in the bylaws, yes? I'd suspect that a leave of absence does not necessarily remove you from office, nor suspend your rights, regardless of how "official" it might be (ie. approved by the board, or whatever).

But this would need to be detailed in the bylaws, yes? I'd suspect that a leave of absence does not necessarily remove you from office, nor suspend your rights, regardless of how "official" it might be (ie. approved by the board, or whatever).

Yes, it would need to be detailed in the bylaws. My point was that his effect on the quorum is a function of whether or not he's a member who can vote, not just whether or not he's a member.

The quorum is based on how many voting members you have.....

Yes, it would need to be detailed in the bylaws. My point was that his effect on the quorum is a function of whether or not he's a member who can vote, not just whether or not he's a member.

Yes, and my post should have read as noted above here. Thanks for the clarification.

Archived