The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adding an item to the agenda mid meeting

Guest Guest Kap

I'm a little confused with the FAQ answer that said, "For a proposed agenda to become the official agenda for a meeting, it must be adopted by the assembly at the outset of the meeting. At the time that an agenda is presented for adoption, it is in order for any member to move to amend the proposed agenda by adding any item which the member desires to add, or by proposing any other change."

In the case of my situation, a meeting agenda is set 5 days prior to a meeting. This is in our bylaws, and if an item is submitted a day in advance, it is just pushed to the next meeting's agenda.

Mid meeting a voting member moved to add a new item of business to the agenda for the day. It was a budget which was submitted only hours before the meeting time, and as a result not on the agenda for the day.

Should the motion from the member have been to amend the agenda to include the budget? Once that was approved by the voting members, then the motion to approve the budget? Would amending the agenda just require a majority vote?

Additionally, is it out of order for a voting member to motion an item of business which is not on the agenda?

Thank you for your help.

This appears at the top of the FAQ's:

CAUTION:

THE ANSWERS GIVEN HERE TO THE QUESTIONS PRESENTED ARE BASED UPON THE RULES CONTAINED IN ROBERTS RULES OF ORDER NEWLY REVISED. THESE RULES ARE, IN EFFECT, DEFAULT RULES; THAT IS TO SAY, THEY GOVERN ONLY IF THERE ARE NO CONTRARY PROVISIONS IN ANY FEDERAL, STATE OR OTHER LAW APPLICABLE TO THE SOCIETY, OR IN THE SOCIETY'S BYLAWS, OR IN ANY SPECIAL RULES OF ORDER THAT THE SOCIETY MAY HAVE ADOPTED. THIS FACT MUST ALWAYS BE KEPT IN MIND WHEN READING ANY OF THE ANSWERS GIVEN.

But apparently there is.

Besides, after I cut and paste it in (if that's the correct term), I don't know how to decrease its size.

I understand, but I simply couldn't resist incurring the wrath of Dan. Much as an ignorant kid might poke a sleeping dog?

And I think "copy and paste" might be more accurate since nothing was "cut" from the source of the text. But there I go incurring that wrath again.

Besides, after I cut and paste it in (if that's the correct term), I don't know how to decrease its size.

To make text plain (i.e., to take out BOLD and ITALIC mark-ups),

1. paste the text into a word processor, and

2. then convert the document to TEXT ONLY.

From that point, you've got only alphanumeric characters, without embedded control characters, and the text is safe to paste anywhere.

Not

that

there's

anything

wrong

with

that.

To make text plain (i.e., to take out BOLD and ITALIC mark-ups),

1. paste the text into a word processor, and

2. then convert the document to TEXT ONLY.

That won't fix the ALL CAPS, though. The only way around that would be to retype it manually. It would help make it a little less imposing, though, although I'm not sure if that's desirable in this case.

Though you'd still have to re-capitalize where appropriate.

The solution is kill the ALL CAPS at the source! With all the available options (font, color, bold, italic), there's just no excuse for ALL CAPS.

OK, I admit I started all this by my plea of ignorance, but it really is time to quit.

Thanks for not really answering my question and spamming my thread with nonsense.

He actually did answer your question. Basically the FAQs reflect what RONR says and if your bylaws say otherwise (which they may) you need to look to them for your answer. Folks here do tend to go off into unrelated discussion after the question has been answered (which Larry and Dan did in the first two responses).

Archived