The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion which passed

Guest Dave Brobst

Recently in a meeting a motion was raised and passed. It turns out that during discussion the next day it was found out that several of the voting members did not understand the motion and they now wish that they had voted differently. so the question - HOW CAN THE ISSUE BE RAISED AGAIN AND VOTED ON AGAIN? thanks

Recently in a meeting a motion was raised and passed. It turns out that during discussion the next day it was found out that several of the voting members did not understand the motion and they now wish that they had voted differently. so the question - HOW CAN THE ISSUE BE RAISED AGAIN AND VOTED ON AGAIN? thanks

Any member can make a motion to amend (or rescind) something previously adopted (ASPA). A two-thirds vote will do the trick.

Any member can make a motion to amend (or rescind) something previously adopted (ASPA). A two-thirds vote will do the trick.

So will a majority vote if one of those several members sees to it previous notice is given. A vote of a majority of the entire membership also does the trick.....with or without previous notice.

So will a majority vote if one of those several members sees to it previous notice is given. A vote of a majority of the entire membership also does the trick.....with or without previous notice.

Yes. But given the fact that most of the visitors to this forum don't have a copy of

RONR on hand, will never have a copy of RONR on hand, don't read the ALL CAPS warning at the entrance to this forum, and just want to do the right thing when they think something smells fishy, I usually think it's best to keep it simple.

And I rest, assured, that someone will come along and point out the zebras in the herd of horses.

Yes. But given the fact that most of the visitors to this forum don't have a copy of

RONR on hand, will never have a copy of RONR on hand, don't read the ALL CAPS warning at the entrance to this forum, and just want to do the right thing when they think something smells fishy, I usually think it's best to keep it simple.

And I rest, assured, that someone will come along and point out the zebras in the herd of horses.

I would respectfully suggest that if you intend to only point out that a 2/3 vote will do the trick, you're posting an incorrect response.

I would respectfully suggest that if you intend to only point out that a 2/3 vote will do the trick, you're posting an incorrect response.

If you're suggesting that a two-thirds vote won't do the trick, I would welcome the correction.

If you're suggesting I used, or implied, the word "only" when I didn't, I would welcome that correction too.

Parse what I'm saying however you like. It's so incomplete it's misleading.

I'm simply trying to suggest the option that can be adopted on the spot without previous notice or the often-hard-to-obtain majority of the entire membership. There is no intent to mislead.

There are three ways to adopt a motion to amend something previously adopted. But if you find yourself at a meeting without previous notice and without a majority of the entire membership (which I would think is often the case) there is only one option.

I'm simply trying to suggest the option that can be adopted on the spot without previous notice or the often-hard-to-obtain majority of the entire membership. There is no intent to mislead.

There are three ways to adopt a motion to amend something previously adopted. But if you find yourself at a meeting without previous notice and without a majority of the entire membership (which I would think is often the case) there is only one option.

Depending upon the assembly, your reply is woefully inadequate. And {un}intentionally misleading.

Archived