The Official RONR Q & A Forums

change rules in the middle of a competition?

Guest Robin

I am the captain of a small ladies' golf club. In our meeting yesterday we moved to change something in a competition that started last week. I was wondering if the change can take effect this year or, since the competion has already started, it will take effect next year?

I am the captain of a small ladies' golf club. In our meeting yesterday we moved to change something in a competition that started last week. I was wondering if the change can take effect this year or, since the competion has already started, it will take effect next year?

It rather sounds like we should be consulting the Rules of Golf, not the Rules of Order.

I think that all I'd feel safe in saying is that it's your club and, short of breaking the law (or the rules of the game), you pretty much have the right to do what you want.

But of course that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. It might be a good idea or a bad idea, might or might not be fair, or proper, or in the spirit of the game, might cause a huge outcry, or be hailed as the best thing since the invention of the golf tee.

So, it's probably something that your club ought to deliberate on, discuss, debate, and decide by a majority vote.

(There, we got back to rules of order.)

It rather sounds like we should be consulting the Rules of Golf, not the Rules of Order.

I think that all I'd feel safe in saying is that it's your club and, short of breaking the law (or the rules of the game), you pretty much have the right to do what you want.

But of course that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. It might be a good idea or a bad idea, might or might not be fair, or proper, or in the spirit of the game, might cause a huge outcry, or be hailed as the best thing since the invention of the golf tee.

So, it's probably something that your club ought to deliberate on, discuss, debate, and decide by a majority vote.

(There, we got back to rules of order.)

No, if it's a change to something that had previously been agreed to, a majority vote without previous notice would be insufficient. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 244, ll. 12-16; §35, pp. 293ff.

Archived