The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion to remove one member of the board for mis conduct

Guest Jim

I am sitting in as President tomorrow (I am VP) and I have been told there will be a motion from one member of the board to put another member off because of documented infractions of policy while serving on the human relations committee and other problems ongoing.

How do I handle this to make sure if it goes to vote that it is done correctly? Should this also be done in executive session? Help!

I am sitting in as President tomorrow (I am VP) and I have been told there will be a motion from one member of the board to put another member off because of documented infractions of policy while serving on the human relations committee and other problems ongoing.

How do I handle this to make sure if it goes to vote that it is done correctly? Should this also be done in executive session? Help!

Firstly, you need to check the bylaws to see if the board has the power to try a member for offenses committed outside a board meeting. It shouldn't, and I hope it doesn't. If it does not have the power, you must rule that the motion to expel the member is out of order on account that the motion conflicts with the bylaws, RONR (10th ed.), p. 106, ll. 20-25.

Our by-laws state that any member of the board can be taken off the board by a two thirds vote. It does not elaborate further.

A two-thirds vote by which body?. The board? Possible but unlikely since the board didn't elect its members in the first place. Read those bylaws carefully. And completely.

Archived