The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Procedure on informing membership

Guest Steve

Hello,

Recently a member of our board was the subject of a disciplinary review by the committee. The nature of the complaint is something that the membership at large should be entitled to know as it has to do with on field behaviors and sportsmanship. We are approaching our yearly elections and by withholding this information, the membership will not be able to make an informed decision. I understand that the facts and investigation should remain confidential. My question is what is the appropriate way to communicate that outside of the committee. Can a brief statement be read into the general minutes at our next open meeting?

Recently a member of our board was the subject of a disciplinary review by the committee. The nature of the complaint is something that the membership at large should be entitled to know as it has to do with on field behaviors and sportsmanship. We are approaching our yearly elections and by withholding this information, the membership will not be able to make an informed decision. I understand that the facts and investigation should remain confidential. My question is what is the appropriate way to communicate that outside of the committee. Can a brief statement be read into the general minutes at our next open meeting?

If the member was found guilty of the infraction I would be very careful in how I present that information to the Membership (if at all) because unless it was worded very carefully it would likely violate decorum in debate (RONR p. 380) if done in a meeting and could be considered libel if done outside of the meeting (RONR pp. 630-631). If the member was found not guilty or the proceedings are still ongoing I would keep quiet about the whole thing.

Recently a member of our board was the subject of a disciplinary review by the committee. The nature of the complaint is something that the membership at large should be entitled to know as it has to do with on field behaviors and sportsmanship.

What was the result of the "review"? Was this person convicted of anything?

And what "committee" are you referring to? And who does this committee report to?

Recently a member of our board was the subject of a disciplinary review by the committee.

The nature of the complaint is something that the membership at large should be entitled to know as it has to do with on field behaviors and sportsmanship.

We are approaching our yearly elections and by withholding this information, the membership will not be able to make an informed decision.

"Entitled to know"?

"Membership ... to make an informed decision"?

... hmmmmmm ...

I understand that the facts and investigation should remain confidential. My question is what is the appropriate way to communicate that outside of the committee. Can a brief statement be read into the general minutes at our next open meeting?

The appropriate way is, "No way."

A committee of discipline isn't supposed to leak anything, specifically.

Is your discipline committee still meeting, still reviewing? - Then no official action has been taken, right?

However, if new rules and new policies were adopted, based on the abuse or violation of the old rules, or lack-of-rules, then that is different.

Of course, you can announce new rules, without alluding to anything even close to the disciplinary data.

You know, your question is more context-sensitive than I thought at first glance.

Whatever can be released, or should be released, will depend on WHAT the data is, and the relationship between the data and the person who is being targeted by the disciplinary action.

I don't think generic advice will help you. - You should read all of Chapter XX Section 61, and then ask your question, since my hunch is, you are not following the disciplinary procedure in RONR. Chapter XX will answer some of your questions, without you needing to post anything more about the details here in this Q&A Forum.

Archived