The Official RONR Q & A Forums

parlimentarian

Guest guest-Judy

this seems to be a conflict of interest

It's not so much a "conflict of interest" but, as Mr. Fish noted, the member-parliamentarian agrees not to exercise his rights as a member (except that he can vote when the vote is by ballot). If he's not prepared to accept those restrictions, he should not accept the position of parliamentarian.

It's not so much a "conflict of interest" but, as Mr. Fish noted, the member-parliamentarian agrees not to exercise his rights as a member (except that he can vote when the vote is by ballot). If he's not prepared to accept those restrictions, he should not accept the position of parliamentarian.

But if the parliamentarian is not acting in that capacity during board meetings, none of these restrictions apply.

I hope I'm not giving anyone any bad ideas, but...

our president appointed his buddy to be parliamentarian - when I read the paragraph at the top of pg. 451 about not speaking in debate etc. they said, "all right, then he's not the parliamentarian - he's just a friendly advisor to the president and he will sit next to the president and we won't have a parliamentarian."

The board just wants to "move forward" so they are willing to let the president pretty much do what he wants.

Any thoughts? :huh:

our president appointed his buddy to be parliamentarian - when I read the paragraph at the top of pg. 451 about not speaking in debate etc. they said, "all right, then he's not the parliamentarian - he's just a friendly advisor to the president and he will sit next to the president and we won't have a parliamentarian."

The board just wants to "move forward" so they are willing to let the president pretty much do what he wants.

Any thoughts? :huh:

Is the President's "buddy" a Board member? If he isn't then he doesn't have a right to attend and the Board can exclude him. However, if the Board is willing to let the President do what he wants then there isn't anything you can do about it.

Any thoughts?

Is the President's "buddy" a Board member? If he isn't then he doesn't have a right to attend and the Board can exclude him. However, if the Board is willing to let the President do what he wants then there isn't anything you can do about it.

Then you'll have to take your case to a higher authority (i.e. the general membership).

Of course, if this "friendly advisor" is sitting in at membership meetings, your suggestion sounds valid. Be that the case, the Board has no authority anyway. But if it is in fact at a Board meeting, does the general membership have any say in it?

Of course, if this "friendly advisor" is sitting in at membership meetings, your suggestion sounds valid. Be that the case, the Board has no authority anyway. But if it is in fact at a Board meeting, does the general membership have any say in it?

The membership could, if it wished, adopt a rule on the matter, which the subordinate board would be obliged to follow.

The membership could, if it wished, adopt a rule on the matter, which the subordinate board would be obliged to follow.

Our friendly advisor was just elected to a 2 year position on the board - but can obviously be removed (in 2 years!)

He will have to same position (advisor) at any membership meeting.

The membership could of course adopt a rule - but I believe the board has demonstrated that it can find a way around any rule it (as a body) wants to.

Archived