The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Where is election in order of business?

paulmcclintock

Assume a society meets monthly with one of these the annual meeting when elections are held.

It appears from RONR pp. 344-345 that if there is a nominating committee, that the nominations from the floor are held immediately after the committee report, and the election after that, all under the order of business heading for committee reports (either Standing Committee or Special Committee per the bylaws).

Without a nominating committee it appears that nominations from the floor followed by elections is done as a special order (RONR p. 346). If other special orders without specific times are scheduled by motion for this same meeting, it would also seem that the election would come first, being prescribed first via bylaws.

Is this all correct, or am I missing something?

Assume a society meets monthly with one of these the annual meeting when elections are held.

It appears from RONR pp. 344-345 that if there is a nominating committee, that the nominations from the floor are held immediately after the committee report, and the election after that, all under the order of business heading for committee reports (either Standing Committee or Special Committee per the bylaws).

Without a nominating committee it appears that nominations from the floor followed by elections is done as a special order (RONR p. 346). If other special orders without specific times are scheduled by motion for this same meeting, it would also seem that the election would come first, being prescribed first via bylaws.

Is this all correct, or am I missing something?

I think you need to be looking at page 420 in this connection.

I think you need to be looking at page 420 in this connection.

Thanks. Page 420 says "The time at which the nominating committee's report is made is a matter to be determined by rule or established custom of the particular organization - depending on its own conditions." I suppose that if there is no such rule or custom that RONR is thus silent and the chair can establish a custom by arbitrarily deciding when to call on the committee report?

This still doesn't address the question of priority of special orders when there is no nominating committee.

Thanks. Page 420 says "The time at which the nominating committee's report is made is a matter to be determined by rule or established custom of the particular organization - depending on its own conditions." I suppose that if there is no such rule or custom that RONR is thus silent and the chair can establish a custom by arbitrarily deciding when to call on the committee report?

This still doesn't address the question of priority of special orders when there is no nominating committee.

If there is no rule or custom, then I suppose the nominating committee's report will be made at the time when the election is pending, and, as I think you have noted, the election will be the first order of business under "Special Orders" in the standard order of business.

Archived