The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Multiple Recommendations in a Single Motion

Guest ABC Motion

In an upcoming meeting, my team is going to make a motion to adopt a strategic plan that includes 10 recommendations. One of our members that will be in the audience that night says that according to RONR, we have to vote on the recommendations individually. If the motion is that we move to approve the strategic plan, including all of the recommendations as presented, why would we have to vote on them individually? What language do I need to use, since I will be the one making the motion, to avoid having to break these out as single recommendations?

We have had much discussion about these recommendations, and most people in the congregation are very much in favor of them. I understand if during the discussion there is a motion to amend my motion and break the recommendations out as individual items and it passes (which I don't think it will) then we would have to go the individual route. I told the congregation that we would investigate the proper procedure this week. Thanks for your insight.

Perhaps the best bet is to consider them "seriatim" -- see RONR, p. 266 and other locations.

You would look at each part individually, consider any amendments to that part (adopt or defeat), then vote on the whole thing as possibly amended. That final vote adopts (or defeats, but we won't think about that!) the whole works.

In an upcoming meeting, my team is going to make a motion to adopt a strategic plan that includes 10 recommendations.

One of our members that will be in the audience that night says that according to RONR, we have to vote on the recommendations individually.

False.

You are free to group those 10 items, as whole unit, under one main motion.

If the motion is that we move to approve the strategic plan, including all of the recommendations as presented, why would we have to vote on them individually?

You don't have to.

However, the members are free to make a motion, To Divide The Question, and force an individual vote on 1 or 2 or 3 or 4, etc., separate recommendations, leaving the balance of the recommendation intact as a unit.

Thus there would be two votes or three votes or four votes, etc., instead of the one vote on the master plan.

What language do I need to use, since I will be the one making the motion, to avoid having to break these out as single recommendations?

Vote down the motion To Divide The Question.

Majority rules.

Archived