The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Applauding comments made at meetings

hoopmama11

Nope.

What did you think was supposed to happen?

Context is everything. - Applause might be appropriate. Applause might be inappropriate.

[

Well, at the meeting that I was referring to, it felt very divisive. People in support of one speaker would clap when they finished speaking. Then someone speaking for another point of view would finish and their supporters would try to cheer louder!

Nope.

Context is everything. - Applause might be appropriate. Applause might be inappropriate.

Well, at the meeting that I was referring to, it felt very divisive. People in support of one speaker would clap when they finished speaking. Then someone speaking for another point of view would finish and their supporters would try to cheer louder!

If all this applause raised to a level that disturbed the assembly a Point of Order could have beeb raised that the applause is being disruptive. The Chair would rule and the ruling could be Appealed. Also, the Chair could rule the applause disruptive without a Point of Order being raised first.

If all this applause raised to a level that disturbed the assembly ...

But that's the very thing, isn't it?

• The ASSEMBLY is the party who is doing the applauding.

• The MAJORITY is "disturbing" themselves.

And there's no rule to stop the majority from doing the disturbing! ;)

(The majority isn't going to discipline themselves, and order themselves from the meeting hall.)

I mean, the massive applause isn't coming from 3 people off in a corner, whispering, cell-phoning, rattling papers.

But that's the very thing, isn't it?

• The ASSEMBLY is the party who is doing the applauding.

• The MAJORITY is "disturbing" themselves.

And there's no rule to stop the majority from doing the disturbing! ;)

(The majority isn't going to discipline themselves, and order themselves from the meeting hall.)

I mean, the massive applause isn't coming from 3 people off in a corner, whispering, cell-phoning, rattling papers.

I could see where one faction contains a majority of the members present and that they don't want to hear the celebrations of the other faction. They could do that by raising the Point of Order that the assembly is being disturbed (not surprisingly there is no disturbance when the majority is doing the celebrating).

Nope.

[

The presiding officer should have dealt with this right away.

Archived