The Official RONR Q & A Forums

No quorum

Guest Sandie

If group decides to have a meeting without a quorum

(for information purposes only)

and not voting or making a decision on any particular issue,

should Minutes of that meeting still be taken?

Further, the meeting is not considered to be in Executive Session.

Normally, if there is a meeting called which WILL NOT TRANSACT BUSINESS AT ALL, then that is not a "meeting" in the parliamentary sense (of being an official gathering of an organization for the purpose of transacting business in the name of the organization, making binding decisions for the organization).

Since it isn't a real meeting of the organization for anything beyond (a.) talking; (b.) education; (c.) entertainment, then I don't think minutes would be meaningful. - You aren't officially doing anything, but that which you could do in someone's living room on a Sunday night, with food and television as deliberate distractions.

You don't take minutes for (a.) weddings; (b.) bar mitzvahs; (c.) BBQs; (d.) dinner dances; (e.) coffee klatches.

Right?

If you are doing the equivalent of #a thru #e, then don't take minutes.

It isn't an official meeting. It's a casual gathering of like-minded colleagues.

I mean, were you planning to APPROVE those minutes, too, in the same KIND of quorumless meeting? :blink:

Normally, if there is a meeting called which WILL NOT TRANSACT BUSINESS AT ALL, then that is not a "meeting" in the parliamentary sense (of being an official gathering of an organization for the purpose of transacting business in the name of the organization, making binding decisions for the organization).

Since it isn't a real meeting of the organization for anything beyond (a.) talking; (b.) education; (c.) entertainment, then I don't think minutes would be meaningful. - You aren't officially doing anything, but that which you could do in someone's living room on a Sunday night, with food and television as deliberate distractions.

You don't take minutes for (a.) weddings; (b.) bar mitzvahs; (c.) BBQs; (d.) dinner dances; (e.) coffee klatches.

Right?

If you are doing the equivalent of #a thru #e, then don't take minutes.

It isn't an official meeting. It's a casual gathering of like-minded colleagues.

I mean, were you planning to APPROVE those minutes, too, in the same KIND of quorumless meeting? :blink:

Archived