The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Roll Call Vote

Guest Jon

When is it proper to have a roll call vote, and then a general aye/nay vote?

All of our votes are done with just an aye/nay, unless it is going to be controversial, but I have seen several boards use roll call votes quite frequently.

Some boards always do roll call votes.

Some boards never do roll call votes.

The method of voting usually is fixed by custom. - "That's the way we've always done it."

Technically, the "normal" method per Robert's Rules is just a plain vanilla voice vote.

Exceptions are, well, exceptions. - Like for heavy subjects like selling real estate, lots of organization feel the seriousness demands a roll call vote, so that there is no question about the margin of victory/defeat, and no question about the quorum being present.

That's fine. - A motion could be made. - "I move that when we vote on selling the Main Street lot, that we vote by roll call."

When is it proper to have a roll call vote, and then a general aye/nay vote? All of our votes are done with just an aye/nay, unless it is going to be controversial, but I have seen several boards use roll call votes quite frequently.

I assume by a "general aye/nay vote" you mean a voice vote, which is proper for most circumstances. It is the default method of voting in most assemblies.

It is proper to use a roll call vote if the assembly is responsible to an interested constituency and it is desired to force members of the assembly to "go on record," in the hope that this will convince them to vote in the best interests of their constituents. In assemblies of this nature, it is often wise to adopt a special rule of order allowing a smaller proportion than a majority to demand a roll call vote.

Like for heavy subjects like selling real estate, lots of organization feel the seriousness demands a roll call vote, so that there is no question about the margin of victory/defeat, and no question about the quorum being present.

A counted vote or ballot vote will suffice for such purposes. The only proper reason for a roll call vote is when an organization is responsible to an interested constituency, although I am well aware that many organizations misunderstand the purpose of a roll call vote and use it for other reasons.

When is it proper to have a roll call vote, and then a general aye/nay vote? All of our votes are done with just an aye/nay, unless it is going to be controversial, but I have seen several boards use roll call votes quite frequently.

Thanks in advance!

When is it proper to have a roll call vote, and then a general aye/nay vote?

I don't understand. Are you asking when it is proper to take two votes on the same question--one by roll call and the other by voice vote?

Archived