The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Calling for abstentions

Guest George Beall

Calling for abstentions marks you as a chair who does not know the rules. Since knowing the rules is a primary qualification for a chair, that's not something you want to be marked as.

If you insist on calling for abstentions, one way that might at least be less improper than some others is:

Those in favor say Aye....

Those opposed say No....

Those who wish to abstain, remain absolutely silent.

See how silly that seems? Whether you call for abstentions or not, those who remain silent have, in fact, abstained. If you enjoy calling for abstentions, you might also like asking those who are absent to raise their hands. :blink:

Those who wish to abstain, remain absolutely silent.

Of course, if the vote is a rising or raised hand vote, there's a wrinkle. Voters would be identified, by which I mean other members would see who they are, and the count would/could be taken (as improper and meaningless as that might be), and maybe even entered in the minutes (as improper as that would be).

Otherwise, you make a good point.

Of course, if the vote is a rising or raised hand vote, there's a wrinkle. Voters would be identified, by which I mean other members would see who they are, and the count would/could be taken (as improper and meaningless as that might be), and maybe even entered in the minutes (as improper as that would be).

Otherwise, you make a good point.

I that case, the procedure could be:

Those in favor will rise/be seated...

Those opposed will rise/be seated...

Those who wish to abstain will refrain from doing anything that might identify them.

Archived