The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Budget

Guest Carol

Ok, so if changes are made to made a PTO budget because they are adding or taking away fundraising events - does the whole PTO have to "accept" the new budget line items? What happens if a new fundraiser was added and it is expected to make $500, then it is not accepted, what happens then?

Ok, so if changes are made to made a PTO budget because they are adding or taking away fundraising events - does the whole PTO have to "accept" the new budget line items? What happens if a new fundraiser was added and it is expected to make $500, then it is not accepted, what happens then?

Who is the "they" you refer to?

If a money-making fundraiser was not accepted, then I guess you don't make that money. Or maybe you don't lose that money, if things didn't turn out as planned.

The rejection of a main motion means that the assembly decides not to do what the motion proposes, RONR (10th ed.), p. 31, ll. 31-34, so the rejection of a motion to amend a previously-adopted budget by adding another line item means that the assembly decides not to add the proposed line item.

"They" would be the PTO board who adds the line items for the new budget - I guess I am wondering if the PTO has a right to add line items, because they want to add or take away fundraisers and or free events (which would always show at least as zero and maybe a loss) or do they need to present the budget for the new school year at the first PTO meeting for it to be voted on. It's very confusing.

"They" would be the PTO board who adds the line items for the new budget - I guess I am wondering if the PTO has a right to add line items, because they want to add or take away fundraisers and or free events (which would always show at least as zero and maybe a loss) or do they need to present the budget for the new school year at the first PTO meeting for it to be voted on. It's very confusing.

You will need to examine the bylaws of the organization to determine what are the powers of the board.

The rejection of a main motion means that the assembly decides not to do what the motion proposes, RONR (10th ed.), p. 31, ll. 31-34, so the rejection of a motion to amend a previously-adopted budget by adding another line item means that the assembly decides not to add the proposed line item.

Which is hard to understand because a PTO budget is usually constantly changing from year to year with the addition and subtracting of different events, so then I would understand that the board's treasurer would have to present his budget report at the first meeting, noting all the changes, and then making a motion to accept the new budget for the school year.

Which is hard to understand because a PTO budget is usually constantly changing from year to year with the addition and subtracting of different events, so then I would understand that the board's treasurer would have to present his budget report at the first meeting, noting all the changes, and then making a motion to accept the new budget for the school year.

I would guess that each school year's budget is an entirely new document, not an amendment of the last year's. If I'm right about that, a motion to adopt the new school year's budget would be an original main motion. A motion to add a line item to the budget while the motion to adopt the budget is pending is a subsidiary motion to Amend. A motion to add a line item to the year's budget after it has been adopted is a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted.

I would guess that each school year's budget is an entirely new document, not an amendment of the last year's. If I'm right about that, a motion to adopt the new school year's budget would be an original main motion. A motion to add a line item to the budget while the motion to adopt the budget is pending is a subsidiary motion to Amend. A motion to add a line item to the year's budget after it has been adopted is a motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted.

And, of course, the average person knows what an original main motion is and what a subsidiary motion is. That's just common knowledge. And if they don't know it, they should.

I may be missing something here, but it seems to me that a budget is never something that is carved in stone. Actions - such as adding or taking away fundraising events - would certainly require vote and approval - but would this automatically require amending and voting on the budget?

I may be missing something here, but it seems to me that a budget is never something that is carved in stone. Actions - such as adding or taking away fundraising events - would certainly require vote and approval - but would this automatically require amending and voting on the budget?

I think yes, if those actions are codified in the budget. For example, as the original post asked, "if a new fundraiser was added" as part of an adopted main motion -- the budget -- then if the organization decides not to hold the fundraiser, then yes, the wording that orders the fundraiser to be held must be changed.

But, incidentally, I doubt anything **must** be done, parliamentarily, about the un-raised $500.

Archived