The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resolution

Guest Linda

I guess I am asking for a yes or no from "Robert". The author of the resolution has been circulating via e-mail and my deadline for submission is Oct. 1. Thanks for your patience. Can it still be presented?

Nothing in RONR requires prior submission of a resolution.

But if this resolution is coming from the district, then the district has to agree to submit it, and the district can only come to that agreement at a meeting of the district.

Lack of time was a dibillitating factor at our District AGM and a resolution was not put forth as planned. Can that resolution be circulated to the attendees and if agreed to, be put forth as a resolution to a higher body at the provincial AGM?

I guess I am still confused. I guess I am asking for a yes or no from "Robert". The author of the resolution has been circulating via e-mail and my deadline for submission is Oct. 1. Thanks for your patience. Can it still be presented?

The 'if agreed to' is the problem -- agreement -- in the parliamentary sense -- is done by voting, and voting can only be done inside a proper meeting. Unless your bylaws specifically authorize votes by e-mail (do they?) you cannot conduct a vote that way. That would be a form of absentee voting, which is a violation of a fundamental principle of parliamentary law. See RONR pp. 408-409 for the relevant language.

Archived