The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presidents authority

fayeetta

Members of our organization voted on a topic to be voted on at a convention of like organizations. Our representative was instructed to vote for the issue voted on. Later, with no input to the members, the president instructed the representative to vote no. General membership still has not been informed ( a year later).

What should our next step be for accountability for over riding a vote of the membership?

What should our next step be for accountability for over riding a vote of the membership?

What do you want to do? Punish the delegate for disregarding his instructions? Punish the president for influencing the delegate? What sort of punishment did you have in mind?

After a year it's a bit late to do anything else.

Not sure I want 'punishment', but accountability. I feel members should know their overwhelming vote was discarded and not sure if there is a 'proper proceedure' for that. It has been almost a year, but only divulged to a few recently.

You could make a motion to censure the delegate for disobeying his instructions and the president for directing him to do so. It's just a slap on the wrist but if disclosure is all you want then I guess that's disclosure.

Now- does the president ever have the autority to do this?

No, unless your rules give him such authority. Nothing in RONR would give the President the authority to disregard the orders of the general membership.

If no, how do I ask for censure?

Make a motion to that effect during New Business.

What would that be, exactly?

Censure is essentially the body expressing its formal disapproval of someone.

Archived