The Official RONR Q & A Forums

acceptance of nominations

Guest David Jay

Nominations for Officers and Board members are done individually by Office. Does an individual nominated have to verbally state their acceptance of the nomination (if present)? If that person accepts a nomination, (i.e. for V.P.) can they also accept a nomination for a Board seat?

Nominations for Officers and Board members are done individually by Office. Does an individual nominated have to verbally state their acceptance of the nomination (if present)? If that person accepts a nomination, (i.e. for V.P.) can they also accept a nomination for a Board seat?

A nominee need not accept his nomination, but it is polite to let the assembly know if he wishes to withdraw his name.

Does an individual nominated have to verbally state their acceptance of the nomination (if present)?

No. But he should tell them if he doesn't want to serve. Though he can't technically decline to be nominated the members should know if he would decline the office if elected (which he can do) and they can act accordingly.

If that person accepts a nomination, (i.e. for V.P.) can they also accept a nomination for a Board seat?

Yes, unless the bylaws limit a member to one office at a time.

No. But he should tell them if he doesn't want to serve. Though he can't technically decline to be nominated the members should know if he would decline the office if elected (which he can do) and they can act accordingly.

Well, even if the bylaws limit a member to [serving in] one office at a time, that would not necessarily prevent him from being nominated to (i.e. "running for") more than one office. He'd just have to pick the one he wants if he hits the daily double.

"If that person accepts a nomination, (i.e. for V.P.) can they also accept a nomination for a Board seat?"

Even if the organization prohibits members from serving in more than one office at a time, that would not necessarily prohibit accepting the nomination for multiple offices. If elected to more than one, the successful candidate would then have to choose among them.

Well, even if the bylaws limit a member to [serving in] one office at a time, that would not necessarily prevent him from being nominated to (i.e. "running for") more than one office. He'd just have to pick the one he wants if he hits the daily double.

Even if the organization prohibits members from serving in more than one office at a time, that would not necessarily prohibit accepting the nomination for multiple offices. If elected to more than one, the successful candidate would then have to choose among them.

Hmmm.

Archived