The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Wrong Name on Ballot for Board Elections

WKW

I am a member of a condo HOA. Some of us are trying to take control from the current Board who have been in power over 20 years. The current Secretary/Treasure has been on the Board since day one. We are voting for all 5 Board positions this year because the S/T failed to file the by-law ammendment when staggered terms were voted on ten years ago. We recently discovered this and forced the Board to hold all positions available this year.

The election process is announced by the Board asking for volunteers from the members. Volunteers are then given a chance to submit a one page information sheet to be distributed to the voting members.

One member, Mr. Browne, has volunteered to run for the Board and submitted his information that was distrubited to the Association members for review. His name is on the ballot "James Browne". The information sent to the members appears to be written by the candidate it states "My wife Joan and I own unit 123" and continues with additional info. The letter is not signed or dated. James Browne and his wife Joan do out own Unit 123, according to our roster it is owned by James and Jill Brown. I believe the S/T talked Mr. Brown into running and created the letter for him in order to meet the deadline. Our by-laws state you must be the owner of record to be a member and to run for the Board. Is Mr. Brown(e) a legal, qualified candidate? Is this situation addressed in RROR.

Thanks, WKW

Although RONR does note (on p. 402) that "small technical errors, like the misspelling of a word or name, do not make a vote illegal if the meaning of the ballot is clear".

True, although I find it pretty hard to believe that the guy would not remember his wife's name and put the wrong name down (unless he was married to a Joan beforehand and was drunk or something when he filled out the ballot). :o:rolleyes:

True, although I find it pretty hard to believe that the guy would not remember his wife's name and put the wrong name down (unless he was married to a Joan beforehand and was drunk or something when he filled out the ballot).

Or Mrs. Brown's legal name is Jill but everyone knows her as Nancy Joan.

It looks like someone is looking for any excuse to keep this guy off the ballot when it would be simpler to just campaign for someone else.

Mountcastle, your response is both wrong and right. I have no intention of doing anything to delay this election. We are working very hard to campaign against the current Board. We have successfully petitioned the state to send an elections monitor to our annual meeting to oversee this election. We want it to be right. No grounds for an appeal from either side. My question was meant for its face value, no hidden agenda. I found this site a few days ago and the most important information I have seen so far is (as Mountcastle suggest) campaign, step up, speak up, vote, .................

Thanks to all the responses

I am a member of a condo HOA. Some of us are trying to take control from the current Board who have been in power over 20 years. The current Secretary/Treasure has been on the Board since day one. We are voting for all 5 Board positions this year because the S/T failed to file the by-law ammendment when staggered terms were voted on ten years ago. We recently discovered this and forced the Board to hold all positions available this year.

The election process is announced by the Board asking for volunteers from the members. Volunteers are then given a chance to submit a one page information sheet to be distributed to the voting members.

One member, Mr. Browne, has volunteered to run for the Board and submitted his information that was distrubited to the Association members for review. His name is on the ballot "James Browne". The information sent to the members appears to be written by the candidate it states "My wife Joan and I own unit 123" and continues with additional info. The letter is not signed or dated. James Browne and his wife Joan do out own Unit 123, according to our roster it is owned by James and Jill Brown. I believe the S/T talked Mr. Brown into running and created the letter for him in order to meet the deadline. Our by-laws state you must be the owner of record to be a member and to run for the Board. Is Mr. Brown(e) a legal, qualified candidate? Is this situation addressed in RROR.

Thanks, WKW

I see nothing in the facts presented that would lead me to believe that the election will be invalid on account that the nominee doesn't know the name of his wife. laugh.gif

Archived