The Official RONR Q & A Forums

naughty board

Guest Lucy

You may remember me from earlier post. There is a quasi-governmental nonprofit corporation representing city's entire population making decisions of major consequence whose board does not run its meetings anywhere close to RR despite bylaw stipulation that it should. Since my earlier inquiry I have gotten myself elected to the board. What do I do now? I have yet to attend my first meeting but I anticipate when I confront the group on the subject I will be told to shove off.

I guess I need a copy of the current bylaws, articles of incorporation, contract with city, any board resolutions and a good attorney of some sort.

Since my earlier inquiry I have gotten myself elected to the board.

Congratulations for getting yourself in a position where you can hopefully make some changes and condolences that you will probably have an uphill battle in getting it done.

What do I do now? I have yet to attend my first meeting but I anticipate when I confront the group on the subject I will be told to shove off.

Get familiar with all the governing documents, applicable laws, applicable rules, and RONR. If this nonprofit has a General Membership maybe you can get some backing from them (even if it is introducing motions at the GM meetings to censure or discipline Board members who are not following the rules or to bring the Board under control). Most of all, keep your chin up and know that change is a difficult thing for some people to handle and with a stout heart and steady hand things will get better. Whew, with that last sentence I feel like I just channeled Braveheart. :D

I guess I need a copy of the current bylaws, articles of incorporation, contract with city, any board resolutions and a good attorney of some sort.

Can't hurt.

Since my earlier inquiry I have gotten myself elected to the board.

I'm sorry to hear that. We can't help you now. ;)

What do I do now?

About what? - Getting off the board?

(See my above answer for that one.) :P

Q. What did you WANT to do, to justify getting yourself elected to a board which doesn't use proper parliamentary procedure?

We cannot cite pages and cite rules which will be recognized by chairmen who don't know The Rules nor The Book.

"When you are up to your [keester] in alligators, it's kind of hard to remember that you were elected just to drain the swamp."

- Anonymous new board member

You may remember me from earlier post. There is a quasi-governmental nonprofit corporation representing city's entire population making decisions of major consequence whose board does not run its meetings anywhere close to RR despite bylaw stipulation that it should. Since my earlier inquiry I have gotten myself elected to the board. What do I do now? I have yet to attend my first meeting but I anticipate when I confront the group on the subject I will be told to shove off.

Yep, sounds like you're on the right track. You might also want to include a professional parliamentarian to your armamentarium for an expert witness.

Congratulations for getting yourself in a position where you can hopefully make some changes and condolences that you will probably have an uphill battle in getting it done.

Get familiar with all the governing documents, applicable laws, applicable rules, and RONR. If this nonprofit has a General Membership maybe you can get some backing from them (even if it is introducing motions at the GM meetings to censure or discipline Board members who are not following the rules or to bring the Board under control). Most of all, keep your chin up and know that change is a difficult thing for some people to handle and with a stout heart and steady hand things will get better. Whew, with that last sentence I feel like I just channeled Braveheart. :D

Can't hurt.

Bless you, Braveheart, Kim and Rob, for the support. They just had the general meeting. It happens once a year. 4 people showed up. There has been no hardcopy newsletter all year, which is a departure. Communication is by email. This is supposed to be a city-wide organization. Stay tuned!

Bless you, Braveheart, Kim and Rob, for the support. They just had the general meeting. It happens once a year. 4 people showed up. There has been no hardcopy newsletter all year, which is a departure. Communication is by email. This is supposed to be a city-wide organization. Stay tuned!

Do the other members of the city know that these meetings are being held for them, and when?

Archived