The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes

Guest Maryanne

Our club has an obstinate Secretary that has not handed out printed minutes of either board or general membershgip meetings. She reads them off her laptop screen but has yet to provide copies. The President asks for a motion to approve as read and gets just that. Question is can minutes of previous meeting be approved as READ without being provided to members in print?

This just doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks,

MJ

Our club has an obstinate Secretary that has not handed out printed minutes of either board or general membershgip meetings. She reads them off her laptop screen but has yet to provide copies. The President asks for a motion to approve as read and gets just that. Question is can minutes of previous meeting be approved as READ without being provided to members in print?

This just doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks,

MJ

No rule in RONR requires the distribution of minutes to members.

Question is can minutes of previous meeting be approved as READ without being provided to members in print?

Regardless of how the minutes are presented for approval, RONR states that the (approved) minutes "should be kept in a substantial book or binder". In other words, a "hard copy".

Further, if the members are unhappy with the secretary reading her draft from her laptop, she can be directed to submit a paper copy.

No rule in RONR requires the distribution of minutes to members.

I would be concerned that she may not be reading "the minutes" but rather her notes (which are not proper minutes).

Your organization elected her to the position of secretary, apparently, so it there is enough unhappiness with her performance, you could elect someone else.

members have the right to read past minutes, so why don't you make such a request -- and see what happens?

Archived