The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proxy voting

Guest M. Uman

I looked at FAQ 10 before posting my quiry. The definition is not helpful: it does not indicate who may be eligible to exercise a proxy, i.e., a person otherwise eligible to vote or any person whatsoever.

From the FAQ:

Proxy voting is not permitted....unless... the bylaws ...authorize it, ..... As a consequence, the answers... must be found in the provisions of the ..... bylaws

In other words, the answer to your question won't be found here. Your organization will need to determine for itself who is authorized to act as a proxy.

It would seem that, when you check your bylaws, you'll find one of three outcomes: 1) the answer was right there all along (and, BTW, your bylaws supersede RONR) or 2) your bylaws don't say anything about proxy voting (in which case you can't do it at all) or 3) your bylaws allow proxy voting but don't address your question.

In the case of #3, we must tell you that your organization must determine the meaning of your bylaws. See page 570ff for some principles of interpretation of your bylaws. Then amend the bylaws to remove the problematical areas.

-Bob

I looked at FAQ 10 before posting my quiry. The definition is not helpful: it does not indicate who may be eligible to exercise a proxy, i.e., a person otherwise eligible to vote or any person whatsoever.

That's because, as far as RONR is concerned, nobody is eligible to exercise a proxy, since proxy voting is prohibited.

Of course a state law or your own bylaws may require proxy voting, which would trump RONR, but you would need to turn to that law, or to those bylaws, for answers to any questions on how the proxy voting scheme should be implemented.

Archived