The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum

Guest Annette Brown

And note that you can still have a meeting without a quorum present, it's just that you can't do very much. But the meeting should be held and minutes (albeit brief) should be prepared.

Why would anyone go to a meeting if they knew beforehand that there will definitely be no quorum?

Why would anyone go to a meeting if they knew beforehand that there will definitely be no quorum?

No one said they would. Though perhaps they should.

Firstly, no one can know "for sure" what will happen in the future. Maybe someone who was "definitely" going to be out of town changed his plans. Maybe some members lied about not going in the hopes of persuading others not to attend.

Secondly, it could be argued that the presiding officer (at least) has an obligation to show up.

I suppose I am misreading this topic. I agree that if some members attend, the meeting should be held although there is no quorum. But I don't think that the obligation to hold a quorumless meeting in the first place needs to be taken very seriously in most cases.

Firstly, no one can know "for sure" what will happen in the future. Maybe someone who was "definitely" going to be out of town changed his plans. Maybe some members lied about not going in the hopes of persuading others not to attend.

Secondly, it could be argued that the presiding officer (at least) has an obligation to show up.

The RONR version of that timeless 60's (?) bumper sticker:

What if they called a meeting and nobody showed up?

I agree the presiding officer should at least be expected to attend, assuming that post isn't one of the vacancies!

One word: Donuts.

Or, it may be that the bylaws require that a meeting must occur every month (or other interval). If that is so, then a meeting should be held even if no quorum can be obtained, in order to satisfy the mandated requirement.

Archived