The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Board

Guest Dave Collins

In the case where one of the Executive Body such as a Secretary or Treasurer resigns,

And a member of an association accepts the appointment of Secretary or Treasurer on an interim bases until the next AGM where election will take place,

Does this interim position have the same rights and privledges, and voting power regarding matters to be decided within the Executive Board?

thank you

In the case where one of the Executive Body such as a Secretary or Treasurer resigns,

And a member of an association accepts the appointment of Secretary or Treasurer on an interim bases until the next AGM where election will take place,

Does this interim position have the same rights and privledges, and voting power regarding matters to be decided within the Executive Board?

thank you

There is no "interim position" unless your bylaws provide for one. But the (new) Secretary is the Secretary and the (new) Treasurer is the Treasurer, regardless of the the path they took.

Thanks for your reply, Mountcastle

Are not the positions of an Executive Board, elected positions? Where nominations are made and votes are cast? In our association there is provision for interim positions in the case of a mid-term resignation of a board member, which has happened. What is unclear to me, is weather or not this ``fill in `` position really has the same voting power when it comes to decisions made by the executive.(I realize that this too should be clarified in the bylaws but it is not) They are infact in a temporary state untill a proper election process takes place. I can`t seem to determine if there is anything in RR`s to help me make that determination.

I can`t seem to determine if there is anything in RR`s to help me make that determination.

We can help with that. The best place to look is page 570ff, which gives some principles for interpretation of your bylaws. The first principle is that you must do that for yourself and then, of sourse, fix up the problematical sections.

However, if this helps, all members of the executive board, whether plain ol' members, ex officio members or interim members are members in every sense of the word (attend meetings, make motions, speak in debate, and vote). So, if you bylaws say that you can have the position of interim anything and you invoke that clause to elect someone to that position, then he/she is a full member of the executive board unless your bylaws say otherwise.

When his term ends, as would happen when a permanent member is elected, he is no longer a member of the board.

-Bob

Archived