The Official RONR Q & A Forums

amending a main motion

Guest ken  morrison

Our condo association will present a recommended budget for approval by owners. I object to one line item and wish to offer an amendment for a vote on that line item. What is the proper way to do that and, if the majority rejects the proposed line item expense , how is the vote on the main motion (to approve the proposed budget in its entirety) handled?

I would first move to consider the budget seriatim (RONR, p. 266ff), meaning you go through it line by line to see if any line has a proposed amendment to it, and each line will be debatable. The presiding officer should be offering to have it considered this way, but if he doesn't you can move to do so.

After the entire budget is gone through line by line, the entire budget (or budget as amended), is adopted/defeated with one vote.

Our condo association will present a recommended budget for approval by owners.

I object to one line item and wish to offer an amendment for a vote on that line item.

What is the proper way to do that and, if the majority rejects the proposed line item expense, how is the vote on the main motion (to approve the proposed budget in its entirety) handled?

Make a motion.

Example:

I move to amend the line item regarding 'gazebo maintenance' - namely, to strike "$500" and insert "$1000".

Archived