The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion to Divide the Question

Guest Larry Herrera

After a motion and unanimous vote to divide a question into two sub-parts, may the maker of the motion withdraw the motion to divide?

Or must the maker then address each sub-part and move to receive and file each sub-part?

I will assume that the division was proper - i.e., that each part truly presents a question which CAN be independently adopted or rejected WITHOUT dependency on another part.

Since the division creates separate questions, then it is possible that the assembly may wish to continue to entertain one or two of the parts, and otherwise be willing to allow a withdrawal of some other part(s).

So, unless the pairing is too tight to separate, the cleanest parliamentary solution is to treat each question as its own stand-alone question, and allow or disallow a withdrawal in separate acts. - Mix and match.

Yet, to repeat, I can easily imagine that some parts are so tightly coupled that a separation isn't reasonable - e.g., (a.) to establish a method of fundraising, and (b.) to approve a new targeted project for the new (anticipated) funds.

These two items might be so tightly coupled that #a is meaningless without #b, or #b is impossible without #a.

Beware of the dependencies.

After a motion and unanimous vote to divide a question into two sub-parts, may the maker of the motion withdraw the motion to divide? Or must the maker then address each sub-part and move to receive and file each sub-part?

The motion to divide a question may not be reconsidered. [page 262]

By that time in the process, the maker of the motion is no longer in cotrol of the motion since the assembly has adopted it.

-Bob

After a motion and unanimous vote to divide a question into two sub-parts, may the maker of the motion withdraw the motion to divide? Or must the maker then address each sub-part and move to receive and file each sub-part?

Q #1: No

Q #2: It is likely that a motion "...to receive and file..." is out of order, since the divided motions are already before the assembly.

Archived