The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting with abstensions

Guest Joanne

We have a nine member board. All were present. A vote was taken with one abstension. President did not vote. Vote was 4 to pass, 3 to fail. Does the motion pass?

Presuming the motion requires a majority vote to pass, then yes. You had more yes votes than no votes, so that's a majority.

What would make you think it would NOT pass?

We have a nine member board. All were present. A vote was taken with one abstension. President did not vote. Vote was 4 to pass, 3 to fail. Does the motion pass?

Whatever result was announced by the president stands. See RONR, Off. Interp. 2006-18 at the Robert's Rules of Order website, www.robertsrules.com.

Whatever result was announced by the president stands. See RONR, Off. Interp. 2006-18 at the Robert's Rules of Order website, www.robertsrules.com.

Curious (since I often sidestep around a small detail) what this OI has to do with this post, as there is nothing in the original that implies an erroneous result or improper vote, or anything warranting a timely Point of Order? So, perhaps I'm missing a finessing detail?

Curious (since I often sidestep around a small detail) what this OI has to do with this post, as there is nothing in the original that implies an erroneous result or improper vote, or anything warranting a timely Point of Order? So, perhaps I'm missing a finessing detail?

The correct answer whether the motion was adopted or rejected depends exactly on what result was announced by the president, even if the announcement was made in error. The number of votes on each side of the question and the number of abstentions has nothing to do with it, now.

The correct answer whether the motion was adopted or rejected depends exactly on what result was announced by the president, even if the announcement was made in error. The number of votes on each side of the question and the number of abstentions has nothing to do with it, now.

Technically that's true, but then the same answer could be given to almost any question asked here. And it would give the wrong impression that a president has unlimited power to change the outcome of any vote at any time.

The original question was: does a main motion with a 4-3 vote with one abstention pass, in a meeting with a quorum requirement of 5. The answer, given the information provided, would be Yes it does.

The OI refers to a motion declared to have passed, but with a vote that was actually insufficient for passage, which is not what is alleged here. The announcement of the chair was never called into question by the OP at all, much less whether a continuing breach would have been created by it, had it been in error.

The question (as indicated by the thread title) was apparently about the effect of the abstention, if any. And that effect is nil.

Okay, got it, and thanks.

Except the OP wanted to know if it passed and what affect absentions might have........so Rob's answer ignores part of what the OP really wanted to know. ;)

Except the OP wanted to know if it passed and what affect absentions might have........so Rob's answer ignores part of what the OP really wanted to know. ;)

Well, I don't know that the OP wanted to know the affect of the abstentions. She included that fact ostensibly to account for the vote, 4 to 3 with one abstention by a member, and the chair not voting either. It seemed the question was more about whether a 4 to 3 vote passes on a nine member board with two members not voting.

I took Mr. Elsman's response to be a clarification that, regardless of the vote count, the result of the voting is as the chair states it, a tiny detail left out of the original post (so we are left to assume as we wish). Further, should the chair have announced that the motion failed, or if in fact the vote had been 3 ayes and 4 nos and the result was announced as having passed, and additionally no timely Point of Order being raised, the chair's announcement would stand, even if incorrect. Which is to say, the motion passes or fails according to the chair's announcing the result, not necessarily what the vote count was.

And we don't in fact know what the chair's announcement was.

That's how I read it, anyway.

Archived