The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Order of Motions

Guest Jon

I was wondering, if multiple proposals come before the board, do they get voted on in the order they are presented. For example, we have several proposals before our board right now to improve our grounds. However, one of the concerns is spending too much money on all of these proposals, vs. just a few of these proposals this year, some more next year, etc.

But, we are struggling with which ones are to be voted on first. Is it whoever presents it first, does the chair decide, is it up to the board? Does RONR have any guidance in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

I was wondering, if multiple proposals come before the board, do they get voted on in the order they are presented. For example, we have several proposals before our board right now to improve our grounds. However, one of the concerns is spending too much money on all of these proposals, vs. just a few of these proposals this year, some more next year, etc.

But, we are struggling with which ones are to be voted on first. Is it whoever presents it first, does the chair decide, is it up to the board? Does RONR have any guidance in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

You need to study up on the notion of subsidiary motions and how these motions interrupt the consideration of a main motion to treat the main motion in some way before it is voted on. See RONR (10th ed.), pp. 56-59, 60-63.

You need to study up on the notion of subsidiary motions and how these motions interrupt the consideration of a main motion to treat the main motion in some way before the it is voted on. See RONR (10th ed.), pp. 56-59, 60-63.

I wanted to propose something else productive, but this blew me away.

Archived