The Official RONR Q & A Forums

executive session minutes

inquiry

A board meeting where an individual member could not be present and was not informed that he would be the subject of an executive session ... should minutes be taken of an executive session and if so should that absent member be entitled to the minutes ... and was this "legal to discuss him when he wasn't informed in the first place that he would be the subject" ... for suspension?

should minutes be taken of an executive session and if so should that absent member be entitled to the minutes

And since minutes record what was done (e.g. motions) and not what was said (e.g. discussion), there might not be much in the minutes of this executive session for the absent member to read.

Though perhaps not definitively, this has (all) the earmarks of a disciplinary proceeding. I'm no expert on Chapter XX, but I question whether the proper steps were handled, such as notification of the accused, etc.

Also, to "Inquiry" -- do your bylaws give the Board the authority to suspend a member? Was this individual a member of the board?

Didn't "unless some motion was made that required previous notice" cover it?

It occurs to me, after some slow and ponderous thinking, a la my hero, or Dan's, that probably the most important instance of a requirement for previous notice, and the one in which it's most critical, is in disciplinary procedures. So as George said, ""unless some motion was made that required previous notice" " should indeed cover it. I'm mulling on whether or not there MIGHT be a conceivable exception, and also about whether there's a principle that applies that would preclude any suspending without previous notice.

Archived