The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Two Budget

Guest Tish

My committee would like to present two budget options to our group. Should we present both budgets and ask for a vote on A or B? Or should we vote on one and afterwards present the second budget? Or are we allowed to presnt two budgets?

I suppose if the committee was directed to prepare "a" budget, that's what it should do.

The assembly can then accept it as is or amend it.

My committee would like to present two budget options to our group. Should we present both budgets and ask for a vote on A or B? Or should we vote on one and afterwards present the second budget? Or are we allowed to presnt two budgets?

The committee should make a recommendion to adopt one budget. When the question on the adoption of the committee's recommendation is pending before the parent assembly, any member of the parent assembly (whether or not he is a member of the committee) can obtain the floor and move to amend the main motion by substituting a different version.

In most societies, it is also permitted for a minority of the committee's members to present a minority report after the committee's report has been presented, but the recommendation in the minority report can only come before the assembly if it is moved to substitute it for the recommendation of the committee.

See RONR (10th ed.), §12, pp. 125ff; pp. 510-12.

Archived