The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Re-Vote question

Guest -Guest

After the law chairman counted final votes, he told main motion was failed at almost end of announcement as same time as a parlimentarian interrupted and told law chairman to re-vote. The law chairman told members to re-vote. Right or wrong processing from parlimentarian's interruption. No members at ADM asked for re-vote before he interrupted.

After the law chairman counted final votes, he told main motion was failed at almost end of announcement as same time as a parlimentarian interrupted and told law chairman to re-vote. The law chairman told members to re-vote. Right or wrong processing from parlimentarian's interruption. No members at ADM asked for re-vote before he interrupted.

What was the motion. In some cases, i.e. filling blanks, that would be proper procedure. In most cases, the motion would be lost.

Pretty clearly, the parliamentarian had no business interrupting the announcement of the result of the vote and declaring aloud, for all to hear, that the vote must be retaken. Had I been in the chair, I would have ruled that the parliamentarian's outburst was disorderly and admonished him not to repeat it.

What was the motion. In some cases, i.e. filling blanks, that would be proper procedure. In most cases, the motion would be lost.

Members understood that motion clearly. The motion was very serious. They did went ahead and voted. Law chairman(he is against that motion) finalized count numbers of votes and almost announced that motion was failed (almost 100%) but he got an interruption from Parlimentarian. The Law Chair didn't say why parlimentarian told him to re-vote to the members. Parlimentarian knew that motion was failed. Question: parlimentarian has his own right to interrupt Law chairman's announcement of "failed" (almost full 100%)and tell him to re-vote. Law Chairman took his advice. What is your opinion? I thought that parlimentarian shouldn't bring "re-vote" up that he understood that motion clearly and nothing to say what is point of order of that motion.

What is your opinion? I thought that parlimentarian shouldn't bring "re-vote" up that he understood that motion clearly and nothing to say what is point of order of that motion.

I see no reason, from the facts provided, that the motion should have been voted on again.

Did the "re-vote" change the outcome of the motion?

Archived