The Official RONR Q & A Forums

revisiting an issue

Guest jim

A disciplinary decision was made on a member of my organization. A punishment was suggested, voted on, and passed. After the smoke cleared, there was irrefutable evidence that the allegations were heavily exaggerated. The unofficial consensus of the group is that the punishment was to harsh. After trying to revisit the issue, at a later meeting, we were told that once a decision is made and voted upon it can not be reopened for change. I find that hard to believe. Is this true?

A disciplinary decision was made on a member of my organization. A punishment was suggested, voted on, and passed. After the smoke cleared, there was irrefutable evidence that the allegations were heavily exaggerated. The unofficial consensus of the group is that the punishment was to harsh. After trying to revisit the issue, at a later meeting, we were told that once a decision is made and voted upon it can not be reopened for change. I find that hard to believe. Is this true?

Well, if the punishment was death and the member is dead, it's too late. Most anything else can probably be rescinded.

HAHA. He is still kicking. Now does the original motion maker of the punishment have to rescind. Or can anyone make a new motion to reduce or eliminate the original punishment? In this case the original motion maker is the person saying we can not change the verdict.

Now does the original motion maker of the punishment have to rescind. Or can anyone make a new motion to reduce or eliminate the original punishment? In this case the original motion maker is the person saying we can not change the verdict.

The maker of the original motion enjoys no special status.

You might also want to check your bylaws to see if punishment can be imposed simply by adopting a motion. RONR requires "due process" which includes filing charges, conducting an investigation, and holding a trial.

Archived