The Official RONR Q & A Forums

forgo a bylaw

Guest Helen

We have a bylaw in our group that we all feel is outdated, but directly effects a process that has to occur shortly, before we could make a bylaw change with 3 readings. That is the opinion of 100% of the organization. We have said/heard often that the bylaws are just a guidline to help run the organization. So I believe we can dicsuss and over rule this bylaw at the next meeting to conduct business as everyone believes it should be. Or are we bound by the bylaws until it is offically changed with the 3 readings?

We have said/heard often that the bylaws are just a guidline to help run the organization. So I believe we can dicsuss and over rule this bylaw at the next meeting to conduct business as everyone believes it should be.

While some rules of order contained within bylaws can be suspended, you should assume that the rule you're referring to can't be.

Your bylaws are not "just a guideline". They're the rules you've agreed to follow. Think of them as laws.

If you describe the rule you want to suspend, we can probably tell you if you can.

While some rules of order contained within bylaws can be suspended, you should assume that the rule you're referring to can't be.

Your bylaws are not "just a guideline". They're the rules you've agreed to follow. Think of them as laws.

If you describe the rule you want to suspend, we can probably tell you if you can.

If the organization really is 100% in agreement, it seems to me they can do anything they want - regardless of the Law. Who's going to object?

This must be a very small organization - I belong to a few groups that won't agree 100% on what day of the week it is!

If the organization really is 100% in agreement, it seems to me they can do anything they want - regardless of the Law. Who's going to object?

This must be a very small organization - I belong to a few groups that won't agree 100% on what day of the week it is!

Well, if they're 100% in agreement, they certainly have enough votes to amend the bylaws, but there may be notice requirements that can't be suspended even by unanimous consent.

Even if they're 100% in agreement now, it would be ill-advised to violate the Bylaws. Sometime in the future, someone may change his mind and raise a Point of Order that the action was null and void, or worse, take the legal route.

Even if they're 100% in agreement now, it would be ill-advised to violate the Bylaws. Sometime in the future, someone may change his mind and raise a Point of Order that the action was null and void, or worse, take the legal route.

But not all violations of the bylaws lead to a continuing breach which can be challenged by a future point of order.

It would help if Helen described the bylaw whose violation is being contemplated by the group.

Archived