The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Quorum

Guest Bob

According to what I have read concerning a quorum. It is half of the number of members of an organization, group, etc. What if they have nothing in their minutes concerning what a quorum is or even about following Robert's Rules of Order. Doe either of those situations remove any requirement for a quorum?

According to what I have read concerning a quorum. It is half of the number of members of an organization, group, etc. What if they have nothing in their minutes concerning what a quorum is or even about following Robert's Rules of Order. Doe either of those situations remove any requirement for a quorum?

Well, the default quorum is not half, it's more than half. In other words, a majority of the membership. If your organization has adopted RONR as its parliamentary authority, and if the bylaws (not the minutes) don't define the quorum requirement, then the RONR default (a majority) applies.

If your organization hasn't adopted RONR, you're pretty much on your own. Though if things get hairy (i.e. end up in court), RONR can be persuasive.

Archived