The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending Minutes

nanospring

Hi All

We had a meeting and unfortunately the minutes had not been printed out so we decided to wait to ratify them at the next meeting. In the meantime, one of the participants asked to get a copy of the minutes and proceeded to edit them and email them out to everyone.

Here is my dilema. The minutes were never formally put forward in the meeting. It would seem to me that editing the minutes and redistributing them violates Robert's rules. My interpretation of the rules is that only after the minutes have been formally put forward can revisions be suggested. The person in question claims their actions did not violate any rules.

Also, am I correct that edits to the minutes can only introduced during the course of the meeting, i.e. the edits cannot be made privately and then represented? To do so seems to eliminate the opportinity to discuss the proposed edits in realtime. I may be splitting hairs.

Thanks and I would appreciate it if responses would identify the specific rule being broken, e.g. R403.

Hi All

We had a meeting and unfortunately the minutes had not been printed out so we decided to wait to ratify them at the next meeting. In the meantime, one of the participants asked to get a copy of the minutes and proceeded to edit them and email them out to everyone.

Here is my dilema. The minutes were never formally put forward in the meeting. It would seem to me that editing the minutes and redistributing them violates Robert's rules. My interpretation of the rules is that only after the minutes have been formally put forward can revisions be suggested. The person in question claims their actions did not violate any rules.

Also, am I correct that edits to the minutes can only introduced during the course of the meeting, i.e. the edits cannot be made privately and then represented? To do so seems to eliminate the opportinity to discuss the proposed edits in realtime. I may be splitting hairs.

Thanks and I would appreciate it if responses would identify the specific rule being broken, e.g. R403.

Until the minutes are open for corrections and approved, they are still draft minutes. Anyone can, with the concurrence of the secretary, offer suggested corrections, which the secretary can use or not use.

The official corrections are done at the meeting. Anything done outside of the meeting is unofficial and not covered by RONR.

Do you want to bring disciplinary actions against this guy? If not, then just approve the minutes at the next meeting and move on.

Hi George

No disciplinary action. I just want them to follow the accepted rules given they always quote them when it suits them.

Thanks for the clarification. Any ideas of which RONR it breaks?

DTW

Archived