The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Making a motion:

Guest Kodos

If a member has made a motion, does that member have to vote in favor of the motion?

What if, in the course of debate, the member changes his mind as to the wisdom of the motion and decides that it is not a motion he could support? Are his hands tied?

-- Kodos

Yes.

No rule compels anyone to vote affirmatively or vote negatively.

Voters have no strings.

Like Pinocchio. Post Blue Fairy. :)

Sorry, I'm confused by your reply.

(But not the Pinocchio reference, however! :P )

I thought RONR does attach voting strings to the hands of the sponsoring member. Or am I confusing a rule requiring "speaking in favor of" the motion with a nonexistent rule about "voting for" the motion?

If a member has made a motion, does that member have to vote in favor of the motion?

What if, in the course of debate, the member changes his mind as to the wisdom of the motion and decides that it is not a motion he could support? Are his hands tied?

No. The member is free to vote against his own motion.

I thought RONR does attach voting strings to the hands of the sponsoring member. Or am I confusing a rule requiring "speaking in favor of" the motion with a nonexistent rule about "voting for" the motion?

The rule is that a member may not speak against his own motion. There is no prohibition against a member voting against his own motion.

Archived