The Official RONR Q & A Forums

majority vote vs 2/3 vote

Guest Penny

What requires a majority vote vs a 2/3 vote? Example: 7 members out of 9 present at a meeting (quorum present). The vote was 4 to 3 - Majority rule. The day following the meeting, it was brought up that the vote required 2/3 of the total members to pass, ie 5 to 2 to pass. Which is right?

What requires a majority vote vs a 2/3 vote? Example: 7 members out of 9 present at a meeting (quorum present). The vote was 4 to 3 - Majority rule. The day following the meeting, it was brought up that the vote required 2/3 of the total members to pass, ie 5 to 2 to pass. Which is right?

Most ordinary motions require a majority vote. Some motions (e.g. amending something previously adopted) often require a two-thirds vote.

In any event, if the motion was declared adopted, it's too late now to complain about it. But you could always move to rescind (or otherwise) amend the adopted motion. With (typically) a two-thirds vote.

Further, don't confuse a two-thirds vote with a vote of two-thirds of the total members.

Most ordinary motions require a majority vote. Some motions (e.g. amending something previously adopted) often require a two-thirds vote.

In any event, if the motion was declared adopted, it's too late now to complain about it. But you could always move to rescind (or otherwise) amend the adopted motion. With (typically) a two-thirds vote.

And Mr. Mountcastle,

Correct me if I'm wrong but if he/she chooses to make a motion to rescind and she gives previous notice with the motion, she will only need a majority of those present and voting to pass? Correct? (I'm still learning too)

Further, don't confuse a two-thirds vote with a vote of two-thirds of the total members.

What requires a majority vote vs a 2/3 vote?

Example: 7 members out of 9 present at a meeting (quorum present).

The vote was 4 to 3 - Majority rule.

The day following the meeting, it was brought up that the vote required 2/3 of the total members to pass, i.e., 5 to 2 to pass.

Which is right?

Hold your horses.

Where did this "two thirds" rule come from?

If the rule is your own customized rule, then the interpretation will spin on the exact wording.

For example, your wording might be worded any number of ways:

• 2/3 of those present

• 2/3 of those voting

• 2/3 of those present and voting

• 2/3 of the membership

In general, if Robert's Rules of Order applies, and if there is no superior rule to confound the plain application of Robert's Rules of Order, then all you need for adoption is the chair's announcement that it passed, even if the vote itself was in error (i.e., short of the threshold indicated).

For your convenience, there is a list of motions that require a two-thirds vote in RONR (10th ed.), tinted page 46, at the back of the book.

• 9 years later...
On 10/24/2019 at 2:20 PM, Guest Fred L said:

If a motion fails on a 2/3 majority vote, who is considered to be on the prevailing side?  12 members present vote is 7 for - 5 against...motion didn't get the 9 votes it needed to pass...who can ask for reconsideration?  Member of the 7 for or 5 against? - Thanks!

No matter what the vote threshold was, if the motion failed, then those opposed to it prevailed.  They are therefore considered to be on the prevailing side. 

(The phrase 2/3 majority vote is ambiguous.  I presume you meant a 2/3 vote rather than a majority vote.)

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.