The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Sending Correspondence

Guest Ann

My dilemma is the Vp of our organization is taking it upon herself to email members regarding when the newsletter is due, addressing there disatisfaction with club issues etc. I was told by the former Pres that all correspondence should be sent to me first. Is this true? thank you

Nervous new President

My dilemma is the Vp of our organization is taking it upon herself to email members regarding when the newsletter is due, addressing there disatisfaction with club issues etc. I was told by the former Pres that all correspondence should be sent to me first. Is this true? thank you

Nervous new President

Is it "true" that all emails should be sent to you first? On what authority would that be true?

Nothing in RONR governs emails sent by the VP on her own behalf. It says very little about email at all.

I was told by the former Pres that all correspondence should be sent to me first.

Maybe that's why this person is now the former president.

It's a free country and the vice-president is free to communicate with whomever he wants. If you feel his behavior is inappropriate, Chapter XX offers a range of disciplinary sanctions.

My dilemma is the Vp of our organization is taking it upon herself to email members regarding when the newsletter is due, addressing there disatisfaction with club issues etc.

I was told by the former Pres that all correspondence should be sent to me first.

Is this true?

No.

Letters and e-mail are not parliamentary in nature.

Thus Robert's Rules of Order won't have a rule regarding things like, "Who gets to draft letters?", "Who gets to receive letters?", "Who gets copy of letters?", except where the letter is (a.) regarding a written previous notice; (b.) regarding a written call-to-meeting; (c.) regarding resignations.

That is, if the letter (a.) sets up a meeting, or (b.) sets up business of a meeting, then, MAYBE, there will be a rule in Robert's Rules of Order which applies.

But you said the letters are things like "... when newsletters are due ..." and "... dissatisfaction with club issues ...".

This is non-parliamentary fluff.

It carries all the weight of letters like those describing Aunt Betty Lou's gout, or Junior's blue ribbon at the 4-H Club contest. :mellow:

Its drafting, its sending, and its reading, are outside of Robert's Rules of Order.

My dilemma is the Vp of our organization is taking it upon herself to email members regarding when the newsletter is due, addressing there disatisfaction with club issues etc.

This is not a dilemma, literally, procedurally, or in any vague sense of the word. Don't worry about it.

I don't see a purpose in that. I, for one, don't plan to send you anything. ;)

Is this true?

No.

Archived