The Official RONR Q & A Forums

elections

Guest jeff

1. In what order should the officers be elected.2. We have two opening for trusses should they be voted in seperate or the top two vote getters

1. You can elect all officers at the same time (as happens in most municipal elections), or in the order in which they are listed in the bylaws.

2. The top two vote getters who receive a majority of the votes cast.

1. In what order should the officers be elected.2. We have two opening for trusses should they be voted in seperate or the top two vote getters

I hope you meant two openings for trustees. (An opening in a truss can cause it to be structurally unsound.)

You could hold two elections for the two spots but it's most common to have a ballot where voters can vote for two names, and the two top vote getters are elected providing they achieve a majority, i.e., that each winning name appears on more than half the ballots cast.

1. In what order should the officers be elected?

2. We have two opening for trusses should they be voted in separate or the top two vote getters?

1. If you use a BALLOT (a written vote), then you may finesse this problem completely.

2. If the two offices are IDENTICAL, then you may treat it like a pool, and allow the top two vote getters to win, assuming that they achieve a MAJORITY, of course, per the rules in Robert's Rules of Order. - You cannot use a PLURALITY as the vote threshold.

[Novosielski: "Well, you can vote for as few as you like, but not as many as you like. If you vote for more than the number of seats at stake, your ballot wont' be any good.:)]

I thought some things went without saying... but apparently I was wrong. :P

Tim, please remember that (Ghod willing) sometimes (cause there's no justice) the readership of this, the world's premier parliamentary Internet forum, exceeds the four or five of us, and they read here to find out stuff like what the younger Gary posted.

[Novosielski: "Well, you can vote for as few as you like, but not as many as you like. If you vote for more than the number of seats at stake, your ballot wont' be any good.:)]

Tim, please remember that (Ghod willing) sometimes (cause there's no justice) the readership of this, the world's premier parliamentary Internet forum, exceeds the four or five of us, and they read here to find out stuff like what the younger Gary posted.

Are we certain which Gary is the younger?

Archived