The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote mishap

Guest Duncan McLane

The section of our by-laws regarding attendance requirements to be eligible to vote in our by-laws was changed recently. It was mistakenly overlooked at our last meeting using the previous eligibility requirements making some members eligible and others not. It was a close vote so the outcome may have been different which is why I am asking for expert input.

Does the vote stand or is it null and void?

Since, from what you say, some of those who cast ballots were not actually eligible to do so, and there is the possibility that those improper votes could have made a difference in the outcome, the election should be voided - see RONR, p.402.

I trust your bylaws contain a clear definition of "attendance".

The section of our by-laws regarding attendance requirements to be eligible to vote in our by-laws was changed recently. It was mistakenly overlooked at our last meeting using the previous eligibility requirements making some members eligible and others not. It was a close vote so the outcome may have been different which is why I am asking for expert input.

Does the vote stand or is it null and void?

You need to clear up the eligibility issue, first. A vote is not suddenly void, just because you think someone is not entitled to vote. Raise a point of order regarding the members' voting rights. The chair will make a ruling on the matter, subject to appeal. Then, go from there.

Archived