The Official RONR Q & A Forums

strata council

smithkb

We have a condo with 6 units. If I understand it correctly we need at least 3 members on council. Recently, 1 member quit. Is our council still operational, or is another person required to be a member to pass anything period? A council member may hold more than 1 position, except pres. and vice pres., my question is... if a member takes on another position. do we still require a owner to make up the 3rd person. Not sure if I have made myself clear on this one. Is Mr. Mountbatten still out there? I have had some correspondence with you in the past and would like to hear from you as well. Cheers K.

We have a condo with 6 units. If I understand it correctly we need at least 3 members on council.

Nothing in RONR requires it. Your bylaws may.

Recently, 1 member quit. Is our council still operational, or is another person required to be a member to pass anything period? A council member may hold more than 1 position, except pres. and vice pres., my question is... if a member takes on another position. do we still require a owner to make up the 3rd person. Not sure if I have made myself clear on this one.

Again, see you bylaws.

Is Mr. Mountbatten still out there? I have had some correspondence with you in the past and would like to hear from you as well. Cheers K.

Lord Mountbatten was assassinated in 1979.

Mr. Mountcastle is still with us.

We have a condo with 6 units.

If I understand it correctly we need at least 3 members on council.

Huh? That isn't a rule from Robert's Rules of Order.

That must be your customized rule.

See your bylaws, to hasten your understanding.

Recently, 1 member quit.

Is our council still operational, or is another person required to be a member to pass anything period?

You need a QUORUM to be functional.

Do you have enough people left for your quorum?

You say that one person quit, but you neglected to clarify HOW MANY DIDN'T QUIT - i.e., what is the number of currently sitting members on your "council"?

A council member may hold more than 1 position, except pres. and vice pres.

If a member takes on another position, do we still require a owner to make up the 3rd person?

Like I said:

You need a
QUORUM
to be functional.

Do you have enough people left for your quorum?

You say that one person quit, but you neglected to clarify HOW MANY DIDN'T QUIT - i.e., what is the number of currently sitting members on your "council"?

Q. What is your quorum rule?

We have a condo with 6 units. If I understand it correctly we need at least 3 members on council.

Only your bylaws (or other governing documents) will tell you how many council members you need.

Recently, 1 member quit. Is our council still operational, or is another person required to be a member to pass anything period?

You need to have a quorum to transact business. Your quorum should be stated in your bylaws. If it says a quorum is three members, you'll need to have three present at any meeting to transact any business. If it says it's two, you'll only need two, and so on.

If your bylaws are silent, then a quorum is a majority of the members of the council. If you had three members and one quit, you would have two members (if my math is accurate). A majority of two members is two members.

A council member may hold more than 1 position, except pres. and vice pres., my question is... if a member takes on another position. do we still require a owner to make up the 3rd person.

A position is not a person. When counting for a quorum, you count members, not positions.

Not sure if I have made myself clear on this one.

Feel free to add more.

Is Mr. Mountbatten still out there? I have had some correspondence with you in the past and would like to hear from you as well.

We've not yet devised a proper way to get rid of him. We're working on it thought. Perhaps, we'll try your advice and start by renaming him. ;)

Archived