The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bi-laws

Guest Bill Stanwicks

During the course of an annual meeting, can the officers call for a vote (up or down) to accept new bi-laws before a full review is made by the voting members? Discussion ended with only a 50% review and then a call for "new business" before any objections could be made or a call to close debate/review.

During the course of an annual meeting, can the officers call for a vote (up or down) to accept new bi-laws before a full review is made by the voting members? Discussion ended with only a 50% review and then a call for "new business" before any objections could be made or a call to close debate/review.

You have to follow the rules for amending your bylaws that are found in your (current) bylaws. The officers have only one vote each and enjoy no special status when it comes to amending bylaws (or most anything else).

Amendments are (fully) debatable.

See also FAQ #11.

Make sure those new bylaws have a handy way to get rid of officers. Sounds like you'll need it.

You have to follow the rules for amending your bylaws that are found in your (current) bylaws. The officers have only one vote each and enjoy no special status when it comes to amending bylaws (or most anything else).

Amendments are (fully) debatable.

See also FAQ #11.

-

Regrettably, our current b-laws don't spell that out and rely on R.R.of O. - The current officers unilaterally dismissed the chartered b-laws for their on purposes and are trying to railroad new ones on the association. I've pointed out in a 3 page letter their defects, making them unenforceable but wonder about the procedure for accepting new rules at our annual meeting. (my background) former secretary/treasurer - 15 years & recently retired, former president - 4 years (late 80's /early 90's). Next step is a trip to the State of CT. library I guess. Your thoughts are appreciated, thanks

During the course of an annual meeting, can the officers call for a vote

You should have one (uno) presiding officer who puts questions to a vote. Any member can make a motion, which normally result in a vote of some sort.

(up or down)

A vote should be aye or no.

to accept new bi-laws before a full review is made by the voting members?

The assembly decides when to vote. Whenever a paper is laid before the assembly for action, it is the right of every member to have it read once before voting on it.

Discussion ended with only a 50% review

By what means did it end?

and then a call for "new business" before any objections could be made or a call to close debate/review.

That's unfortunate. It really doesn't take that long to raise a point of order.

Make sure those new bylaws have a handy way to get rid of officers. Sounds like you'll need it.

-

No one wants the job. Things got so bad (ie; frivolous law suits, physical confrontations) that we talked about hiring a property management company to run a very apathetic lake association. I called it quits (after being secretary/treasurer/beach caretaker for 15 years) because of a few selfish neighbors and the advice of our attorney. Now, one of them is the president who wants to skirt the rules so neighbors/guests without deeded rights can use the property/beach. We pay/they play and it's not fair to members with property for sale. Anyways, I say to much - sorry

-

No one wants the job. Things got so bad (ie; frivolous law suits, physical confrontations) that we talked about hiring a property management company to run a very apathetic lake association. I called it quits (after being secretary/treasurer/beach caretaker for 15 years) because of a few selfish neighbors and the advice of our attorney. Now, one of them is the president who wants to skirt the rules so neighbors/guests without deeded rights can use the property/beach. We pay/they play and it's not fair to members with property for sale. Anyways, I say to much - sorry

Ever thought of relocating? Might be time.:(

Archived