The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voting on board members

Guest krista

Our community held elections of officers on October 5th 2010.. According to our current by-laws the president and chairman of the past year automatically hold a board member position for the term of one year. The president we knew did, but the chairman we did not which gave usfive open board positions. There should have only been four seats available for nominees. The outcome of the election has been challenged. Some are suggesting dropping the newly voted member with the least amount of votes and others suggest a "do over" is appropriate. Should the community decide by way of a new vote or should the officers and board of directors make the decision?

Our community held elections of officers ...

OK.

According to our current by-laws,

the president and chairman

of the past year automatically hold a board member position for the term of one year.

Two people?

One person?

:huh:

The president we knew did,

but the chairman we did not ...

Ah! Two people.

... which gave us five open board positions.

Do you mean:

• 3 should have been open?

• 2 are extra?

There should have only been four seats available for nominees.

Oy! :huh:

I am mis-reading each bit and piece.

The outcome of the election has been challenged.

Some are suggesting

(a.) dropping the newly voted member with the least amount of votes ...

... and others suggest ...

(b.) a "do over" is appropriate.

Should the community decide by way of a new vote or should the officers and board of directors make the decision?

I don't know.

When in doubt (and I am in doubt), I will lean toward a re-do.

Not that the election is invalid.

But rather because I believe whenever "We The People" are in doubt about the integrity or validity of an election, then the most-satisfying psychological solution is to DO IT RIGHT the second time around.

The smell of "taint" is sooooo slow to waft away, you know.

According to our current by-laws the president and chairman of the past year automatically hold a board member position for the term of one year. The president we knew did, but the

chairman we did not which gave usfive open board positions. There should have only been four seats available for nominees.

Okay, so basically, you voted on an extra seat which is already filled by the chairman, which everybody forgot about at the time.

The outcome of the election has been challenged. Some are suggesting dropping the newly voted member with the least amount of votes and others suggest a "do over" is appropriate. Should the community decide by way of a new vote or should the officers and board of directors make the decision?

It would seem to me the appropriate course of action would be for the candidate with the smallest majority to be dropped. Certainly, however, whatever happens should be decided by the general membership. The board does not have the authority to make any decisions about an election conducted by the general membership.

Archived