The Official RONR Q & A Forums

reconsideration of a motion

Guest Shannon Dawson

I would like to know the correct procedure to bring a motion back to the table for reconsideration of a motion that ended in a tie at last board meeting. There was a board member missing and the vote ended in a 3 to 3 tie. Does this then mean the motion would need to be made by a board member that voted against it due to the fact the motion failed? Please advise. Thank you.

Does this then mean the motion would need to be made by a board member that voted against it due to the fact the motion failed?

Yep (because that was "the prevailing side").

[Although, in RONR terms, the motion is not being brought back to the table. It's more like being brought back to the floor.]

Is this true even if the motion was lost at an October meeting but someone wishes to open the topic again at the November meeting? The issue was not resolved at the Oct meeting. Can you tell me where to find the reference in my Robert's Rules?

Actually, the issue was resolved at the October meeting - the motion failed. It doesn;t matter if it failed by a vote of 3-3 or 0-6 - the motion failed.

Anyone can make the motion again at the next meeting.

The issue was not resolved at the Oct meeting. Can you tell me where to find the reference in my Robert's Rules?

Yes, the issue was resolved at the October meeting. The motion was defeated just as certainly as if it had been a unanimous No vote.

I'm not sure of the page that says that if a motion is defeated it is defeated, but someone with a Book handy might find it for you.

Of course that doesn't mean you can't move it, or something like it, at a future session. You can. Well, any member can.

Archived