The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session Breach?

Guest John B

I have a member of my Board of Directors that constantly talks to other non board members about what was discussed at our monthly executive session meeting. How do we put an end to this? This last time it was about personnel in the association and will probably get one of them fired. This needs to stop. Is there any real discipline that can be used besides the chapter XX? We will never get that process done.

I have a member of my Board of Directors that constantly talks to other non board members about what was discussed at our monthly executive session meeting. How do we put an end to this? This last time it was about personnel in the association and will probably get one of them fired. This needs to stop. Is there any real discipline that can be used besides the chapter XX? We will never get that process done.

As you suggest, the proper procedure is for the board to prepare and adopt a report for the general membership assembly, with a recommendation for the general membership assembly to adopt a resolution similar to the one found in RONR (10th ed.), p. 632, ll. 22-29. Whether and what gets done depends on what the investigating committee finds and recommends and what verdict is reached at a subsequent trial.

As you suggest, the proper procedure is for the board to prepare and adopt a report for the general membership assembly, with a recommendation for the general membership assembly to adopt a resolution similar to the one found in RONR (10th ed.), p. 632, ll. 22-29. Whether and what gets done depends on what the investigating committee finds and recommends and what verdict is reached at a subsequent trial.

Thank you. I was hoping there was a set rule infraction and suggested punishment. Guess I will have to try and get the board to have enough gumption to do that. Would it help to ask our lawyer?

Thank you. I was hoping there was a set rule infraction and suggested punishment. Guess I will have to try and get the board to have enough gumption to do that. Would it help to ask our lawyer?

Well, the possible legal liability of the society or individual members of the board who neglect to perform their duty to protect the society from damage arising from this kind of breach of the rules goes far beyond the scope of this forum.

Any real discipline, outside the chapter on discipline? Ah, no, RONR grouped its disciplinary procedures into a chapter of the same name... probably for the same reasons it grouped information about appeals into a chapter called "Appeal," and so on. :)

You could try talking to him one on one and say, "we want you to stop it, but we're in no way serious about it."

Well, the possible legal liability of the society or individual members of the board who neglect to perform their duty to protect the society from damage arising from this kind of breach of the rules goes far beyond the scope of this forum.

So you are saying there's a chance!!! How do I donate to this forum?

Any real discipline, outside the chapter on discipline? Ah, no, RONR grouped its disciplinary procedures into a chapter of the same name... probably for the same reasons it grouped information about appeals into a chapter called "Appeal," and so on. :)

You could try talking to him one on one and say, "we want you to stop it, but we're in no way serious about it."

That was awesome. I feel like that constantly with this indivdual. Golden Rule should be punishable by law!

So you are saying there's a chance!!! How do I donate to this forum?

Sir, I want to be perfectly clear that I am not a lawyer; I do not know what laws might apply to your situation; I have no intention to practice law on this forum; and, I am certainly not saying there is a chance of anything whatsoever.

Sir, I want to be perfectly clear that I am not a lawyer; I do not know what laws might apply to your situation; I have no intention to practice law on this forum; and, I am certainly not saying there is a chance of anything whatsoever.

Sorry, I did not mean to offend. I was making a bad joke. I do believe in the necessity of the Robert's rules of order, but unfortunately have not taken enough time to understand all of the effectiveness. Thank you again for the help and if I can help this forum continue to operate I would be happy to.

Sorry, I did not mean to offend. I was making a bad joke. I do believe in the necessity of the Robert's rules of order, but unfortunately have not taken enough time to understand all of the effectiveness. Thank you again for the help and if I can help this forum continue to operate I would be happy to.

Thank you. Your apology is certainly accepted. If you would really like to make a meaningful contribution, why not get hold of a copy of RONR (10th ed.) and help us reply to the questions? biggrin.gif

Thank you. Your apology is certainly accepted. If you would really like to make a meaningful contribution, why not get hold of a copy of RONR (10th ed.) and help us reply to the questions? biggrin.gif

I have it out right now, but don't feel qualified to answer anything as of yet.

Archived