The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Acting after an officer's report

Portcullischain

During our business meetings, one of the first items on the agenda is always the Band Director's report. After his report and any questions are answered, is it appropriate for members to rise to make motions on subjects that the Director discussed? Should they instead wait until the end of the meeting when I customarily ask for any additional business?

Musically,

PC

"If an officer, in reporting, makes a recommendation, he should not himself move its implementation, but such a motion can be made by another member as soon as the officer has concluded his report. In the case of a committee report, on the other hand, the chairman [of the committee] or other reporting member should make any motion(s) necessary to bring the committee's recommendations before the assembly for consideration. A motion arising out of an officer's, a board's, or a committee's report is taken up immediately, since the object of the order of business it to give priority to the classes of business in the order listed." (RONR, 10th Ed, p. 344 - 345)

So, I think maybe.

Guest Portcullischain

"If an officer, in reporting, makes a recommendation, he should not himself move its implementation, but such a motion can be made by another member as soon as the officer has concluded his report. In the case of a committee report, on the other hand, the chairman [of the committee] or other reporting member should make any motion(s) necessary to bring the committee's recommendations before the assembly for consideration. A motion arising out of an officer's, a board's, or a committee's report is taken up immediately, since the object of the order of business it to give priority to the classes of business in the order listed." (RONR, 10th Ed, p. 344 - 345)

So, I think maybe.

Heh, anybody else?

Musically,

PC

During our business meetings, one of the first items on the agenda is always the Band Director's report. After his report and any questions are answered, is it appropriate for members to rise to make motions on subjects that the Director discussed? Should they instead wait until the end of the meeting when I customarily ask for any additional business?

If the director made any recommendations in his report, motions pertaining to those recommendations would be in order at the conclusion of the report. Otherwise, the motions should wait until New Business. So as Gary said, "Maybe."

Archived