The Official RONR Q & A Forums

President voting?

Guest ETI88ORG

I am the President of a very small local equestrian club that is under the umbrella of a large National organization. During our most recent meeting, a vote was taken of the five board members. Three of us voted yes (including myself), one abstained and one voted against. The person who voted against is the Vice President. He made the claim after the fact that the President could not vote under parliamentary procedure. Is this correct?

I am the President of a very small local equestrian club that is under the umbrella of a large National organization. During our most recent meeting, a vote was taken of the five board members. Three of us voted yes (including myself), one abstained and one voted against. The person who voted against is the Vice President. He made the claim after the fact that the President could not vote under parliamentary procedure. Is this correct?

On small boards (about a dozen or less), the chair may vote. Pge 471, lines 7-11

Mr. Cisar's answer is correct, unless your club's rules are different from what is in RONR.

But even if the President were forbidden from voting, and we assume that the President was one of the three board members who voted for the motion, the correct count would be 2 "yes" votes and 1 "no" vote. The motion would still be adopted, if a majority vote is what is required. So I don't understand why the Vice President's concern would invalidate the vote, even if we (incorrectly) assume that he is right.

Mr. Cisar's answer is correct, unless your club's rules are different from what is in RONR.

But even if the President were forbidden from voting, and we assume that the President was one of the three board members who voted for the motion, the correct count would be 2 "yes" votes and 1 "no" vote. The motion would still be adopted, if a majority vote is what is required. So I don't understand why the Vice President's concern would invalidate the vote, even if we (incorrectly) assume that he is right.

Even if a 2/3 vote was required, the motion still was adopted!

Archived