The Official RONR Q & A Forums

BYlaws

Guest Ruth Abell

I sit on a bord of a small town np group and aked for a copy of the by laws and was basicly told no. whats up with that this is the first group that i have been in and not sure how this stuff works. can any body tell me if i have a right to have a copy.

I sit on a bord of a small town np group and aked for a copy of the by laws and was basicly told no. whats up with that this is the first group that i have been in and not sure how this stuff works. can any body tell me if i have a right to have a copy.

It's very peculiar for an organization to conceal the bylaws from members. The secretary is the custodian of the records, and it is his duty to have the record book, with the bylaws included, at each meeting. It is also the secretary's duty to make the records available to members upon request. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 442 - 443.

It's very peculiar for an organization to conceal the bylaws from members. The secretary is the custodian of the records, and it is his duty to have the record book, with the bylaws included, at each meeting. It is also the secretary's duty to make the records available to members upon request. See RONR(10th ed.), p. 442 - 443.

You may want to consult with the "Guidebook for Directors of Nonprofit Corportions, 2nd Edition" published by the American Bar Assn. A director of a non-profit not only has legal obligations but legal rights, one of which is access to the nonprofit's books, records, etc.

I agree with the earlier comment that if this organization isn't willing to provide access to records, minutes, books, etc., I would have reservations about serving - especially considering you are having legal liability incurred by this group placed on you as a board member.

Archived