The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Members

Guest Charles Blauer

When reporting the minutes, I have laways reported the name of thge Council members who are present at the meeting. My Chairperson wants me to also report those members who missed the meeting!

Is that alloowable or correct?

In the general case, minutes do not include either the names of those present or absent, unless the society by rule or custom requires it. Nothing in RONR prohibits it, but it's decidedly non-standard.

Public bodies such as legislatures may require an opening roll-call for attendance purposes, or may report the presence or absence of each non-voting member on roll-call votes (voting members are obviously present). But ordinary societies only need to know that a quorum was present, rather than exactly who made up that quorum.

When reporting the minutes, I have laways reported the name of thge Council members who are present at the meeting. My Chairperson wants me to also report those members who missed the meeting!

Is that alloowable or correct?

The chair should know it's not his call to make. The assembly could make a standing rule on the subject.

Archived